Bishop’s Waltham Palace, Southampton
Bishop’s Waltham Palace in Hampshire was a grand residence. Much remains of the 12th and 14th century buildings, begun by Bishop Henry of Blois, brother of King Stephen. Set within the attractive grounds, the remains include the impressive three-storey tower and the fine windows of the great hall built by William of Wykeham, bishop from 1367 and founder of Winchester College and New College, Oxford.
The stable building was restored in the 20th century. It is a rectangular two-storeyed block with Perpendicular style windows, brick walls with diaper patterns in the east gable and blue and yellow triangular patterns in the chimney. The chimney has a stone plinth and quoins and there are some stone window frames with hood-moulds. The roof is tiled.
There is a prominent tapered stack attached to the north wall, with a diagonal flue. There are lower eaves and two gabled dormers along the main part of the south side. The palace ruins are under the guardianship of English Heritage.
Martin Ashley assisted in the stabilisation of ruined masonry from ground level up to the top of the arches of the Nave, where defective cement topping was replaced with lime mortar and pinning of cracked elements was carried out. Mortar topping was applied to prevent water traps and to improve drainage.