The Ruined Arch was built in 1759-60 by Sir William Chambers and comprises a central brick archway with smaller arches on either side in the form of a triumphal arch. Elements of moulded masonry have been included in the brick core construction to give the impression of a romantic Roman antiquity.
The brick core has a partial stucco covering to replicate the impression of rusticated masonry. The stucco comprises three layers, a base layer of coarse rounded river flint aggregate approx. 70mm size with a finer buff scratch coat overlaid with a grey lime ash topcoat.
Martin Ashley Architects were asked to survey the ruin in May 2021 to record the condition of the structure as the stucco and condition of the brickwork was degrading.