Landscape elements

Boundary gates in memory of Admiral of the Fleet Lord Lewin were modest and did not encourage visitors arriving by Thames Clipper at the Greenwich pier-head to enter the Old Royal Naval College site and walk towards ORNC’s Visitor Centre. A set of 1840’s Philip Hardwick gates rescued from the demolition of the pier-head were set on newly designed Portland stone piers crowned by salvaged lanterns and with a paved precinct with swept railings immediately adjacent to the Thames Clipper landings. With the approval of the family a new inscription was carved to Admiral Lewin and the whole has been well received, attracting significantly increased visitor numbers to the ORNC Visitor Centre. In good weather ORNC’s ‘monument gardens’ just inside the new gates are extremely popular with the visiting public.