Arethusa Fountain, Bushy Park, Teddington
Martin Ashley Architects was commissioned in 2009 to restore the Arethusa (Diana) Fountain and its water display as part of the Bushy Park Restoration Project. Attributed to Inigo Jones, the fountain was first erected in the 1630s at Somerset House, before being moved to Hampton Court and again to the Grand Avenue in Bushy Park.
The Fountain today, was put in its position in the pool in 1712, when it was regilded and mounted on a new Portland stone base so as to increase its prominence in the new setting, the Grand Avenue to Hampton Court. The top stonework is of high quality marble with much carved fine detail of fishes, crabs, shells & other water creatures. The Portland stone base has rusticated details representing hanging river weed, the bronzes were made by the French royal sculptor, Le Sueur.
The Portland stone base and marble top was conservation cleaned, missing and damaged pieces of the rusticated details were recarved and defective joints repointed. The bronzes were removed, cleaned in a workshop, repaired, patinated and iron fixing straps replaced. The pipework within the fountain was replaced and below the pond was dismantled and cleaned. An underground pumping station was installed in the bank at the side of the pond, to boost the low pressure from the existing gravity supply.
2010 Natural Stone Awards – Commended in the Repair and Restoration Category
The Georgian Group Architectural Awards – Winner of the Restoration of a Georgian Building in an Urban Setting Category